Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Trust Yourself: An Overview (Part 1)--A 'Writing Down the Bones' exercise

"Trust Yourself" is a 'Writing Down the Bones' exercise that's rather ample: for it, one must review previous writings to critique and perhaps use parts of them, know how to handle and utilize feedback from others, learning to write about what one genuinely wants to say and how to incorporate writing scraps into future works (the writing 'compost piles').

In this exercise, I'm supposed to review previous writings of mine (and have others review them as well) and use my criteria to get something useful out of them, both for my personal use and for my literary use. So far, I'm not prepared yet to do so, as I pretty much don't have any literary work I should review. Also, this writing exercise seems more appropiate for when someone has written more overall, Regarding on how should I proceed, part of the "Trust Yourself" exercise is to allow ourselves be exposed through writing, in some way. When it comes to ideas and personal things, it shouldn't be that much of a problem, but social structures often hamper that. This at least is especially important for those interested in participating in politics. It often happens that politicians are socially scrutinized quite harshly, being compared to the traditional social standards of their time. In this kind of setting, a false move can mean a complete loss of reputation, which may be uncalled for in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I think that writing here would qualify for the criteria, don't you? It's public writing and I want the group member to comment.

    ReplyDelete